Friday, December 21, 2007

If only I could watch more TV than it might seem worth it.

My Christmas tree is only half decorated. This is because I have a string of lights I need to put on the bottom before we can finish putting the rest of the ornaments up. Only I keep getting interrupted by all these other things I have to fix first-things I can't put off fixing- like my car, my bank account, my body, & our TV debacle that has been going on since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving.
What is even more strange is that like clockwork, our TV service always goes on the blink just as we sit down to watch our favorite comedy series. So after about 2 hours of troubleshooting on the phone with the technician (as I simultaneously tried my hardest not to act like an asshole & simply surrender to the fact that we do not have TV) we fixed it.
The funny part was right before it was fixed, my husband had to follow my instructions according to what the guy was telling me over the phone. It was something like me saying, "Look on the back of the TV, find the wire coming out of it & follow the wire, then take that wire & plug it into the box." after which my husband replied quite happily, " Oh really, no shit- thanks for the tip, because I didn't know that's how I would find it-making my son laugh heartily. I thought I was just being real clear about my instructions. Apparently the technician found it funny too-because he heard all this & I heard him trying real hard not to laugh. The thing is, I didn't let on that I knew he was trying not to laugh because I don't know if you have ever been in a situation where you are really tired & you know if you start laughing you just won't be able to stop & I just couldn't risk that- because I needed my TV fixed. Have you ever had a plant outside in your garden & it looks small in the garden & then you bring it inside the house & it looks gigantic, barely fitting on the bench you sat it on last winter? This is what happened with our rosemary plant this Fall. It's so big I wound up putting it on the floor instead. The same thing that happened with the rosemary plant happened with the Christmas tree we just purchased last weekend. It's not just hitting the ceiling either. You actually have to go all the way around it to get around it. This makes it almost impossible not to bump into it as you are walking by causing hundreds of needles to fall off it. So we are all trying our best not to disturb the tree for this very reason.

Priscilla & Sylvia don't seem to mind the needles all over the floor at all though.
Priscilla seemingly unaware of the Christmas tree, the TV debacle or the giant Rosemary plant.

Sylvia waiting patiently for me to finish my Christmas cards hoping I will soon be having some pretzels with sour cream. If she acts like a statue, I may not notice her-so when I leave the room she can lick every last bit of sour cream from the bowl.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh real life - I love it. I thought I was going to pee my pants as I read this. Who knew living at your house could be so much like living at our house - minus the dog and cat hair that collects in corners and to baseboards we could make winter coats for all of us...

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there. Gonna get back to cable are ya? I got some pinot grigio, Polish Beer, Frangelica, vodka, Kahlua, Scotch, bourban and a couple of other delights. Pick one or two and relax, :-) wait till you see the desert plate. Yummy, Priscilla's Gma