Monday, February 11, 2008

The Gift of Fear

THE GIFT OF FEARThanks Mom!

When my mom gave me the book , The Gift of Fear, I really didn't want to read it. Not percieving fear as a gift but as a hinderance to living life fully, I thought, why would I want to read a book entitled as such?

As I began to read, I soon realized this book is so not about what my initial perception was. This book is one of the most enlightening & empowering books a woman can read-or a man for that matter. I urge each & every person to RUN to your nearest book provider & get a copy of this book & begin to read it immediately.

The authors name is Gavin De Becker who was recently featured on Oprah. Mr De Becker has done pioneering work in violence prevention. Much of his work is centered around intuition- which to me makes it all the more interesting. Since I do believe we all posess the power of intuition I find myself wondering why most of us rarely use it. After starting this book I think the simple answer is we just don't know how. I for one never considered myself a good people "reader". In fact I can recall saying many a time that I am not good at "reading" people. I am not even halfway through this book & I can tell you, I will never doubt my feelings of fear or my perceptions of other people again. Gavin De Becker sites numerous examples of how people know so much more than they give themselves credit for when it comes to other peoples behaviour only to convince themselves otherwise thereby putting themselves in harms way. Gavin teaches us through true stories, techniques we can use to empower & protect ourselves & our families.
I am finding it a gripping read, & it's out in paperback, so get your copy today!

"People should learn to see and so avoid all danger. Just as a wise man keeps away from mad dogs, so one should not make friends with evil men."-Buddha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your take. I saw Gavin De Becker on Oprah years ago, and while the language at first sounded fearful to me, it is really about trusting your gut. So many women get feelings that something is "not quite right" but go against them because we want to be "nice" or we don't want to appear mean. But if we follow those feelings, they can save us from all kinds of circumstances, from simple inconveniences to real danger. Who knows? It might even be the voice of God.

dianasfaria.com said...

Thank you so much for your feedback Laura.
& yes I believe those feelings may be the voice of God too!