Friday, March 7, 2008

Closet Space

Yesterday I finally cleaned out my half of the closet. I would say it took me 2 hours to complete the task. I usually clean my side of the closet in the Spring & the Fall. I don't even look at my husbands side. As long as his stuff isn't infringing on my space I have no need to worry about what's happening over yonder.
Let me just state for the record that our closet is fairly pathetic. Mostly I am talking about it's structure & dis-functionality like a few holes, lack of proper shelving, & the air conditioning duct running down its back wall. It also doesn't have any insulation or heat & being that I usually dress in there, I've learned to dress quickly on a cold winter morning.
I would have taken a picture of my closet to show before and after shots documenting my cleaning but I decided I would wait until I actually renovate it- lest I fully acknowledge just how bad it is in print! Ideally we will be building a new closet this year at some point. Until then I thought cleaning it would be the first step in gaining some sense of peace & tranquility since I use it on a daily basis.
Besides, anyone who owns a house knows the list of home improvements are endless & our closet unfortunately, isn't high on the list of priorities.
A girl can dream though, can't she?
With all the press on the importance of de-cluttering one's life & Oprah's recent show on clutter & big butts and everything -http://www.oprah.com/xm/pwalsh/200802/pwalsh_20080201.jhtml-I thought what I discovered while I cleaned must have some important significance or special meaning-something along the lines of a dream interpretation for the closet challenged soul such as myself.

In the cleaning out I took the standard advice of sorting into piles what I would throw out- three long ago expired prescriptions, a pair of mangy slippers, five bras & other assorted under garments along with a pair of prescription eyeglasses I can't imagine ever having worn.
My "save" pile included good batteries, leather gloves, a brand new razor still in its packaging, & 2 fairly new brassieres-pretty cool huh? It was like going shopping without having to leave the house.
The really good news is I wound up with a substantial give away pile that I could donate to The Society of Saint Vincent De Paul.
Oh I almost forgot to mention something very important-I threw out four pairs of 15 year old socks. Up until yesterday I felt like since they didn't have any holes in them, I should keep them. But you know, they were so uncomfortable!
Ahhh...sweet freedom.
"Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own."-Bruce Lee

No comments: