Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's all about the music...

Thick as a Brick is one of my favorite albums of all time and when I heard Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull sing it last night at the Jones Beach Theatre, he surely did not disappoint. Ian is an amazing musician and poet who loves to entertain his audience. My husband and I have been listening to him since we were teenagers so we were especially excited to be able to share this musical experience with our son Ian, who incidentally is not named after Mr. Anderson, at least not consciously. The memory always makes me laugh when I think of when our son was born and named everyone who knew us asked us if that was indeed what we had decided to do. Incredulous smiles crossed their faces with the question begging to be asked, "hey did you guys name him after Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull?"
So last night the joke was, when we meet him we'll say, "Ian Anderson, we would like you to meet our son Ian, and no, he's not named after you, but we do like your music very much sir."

Please click on both photos (courtesy of my son, Ian) to enlarge for greater details.

Ian Anderson holding his flute while waving to the audience.A better view of the stage and audience.


"...Spin me back down the years and the days of my youth.
Draw the lace and black curtains and shut out the whole truth.
Spin me down the long ages: let them sing the song."

excerpt of Thick as a Brick, by Ian Anderson


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Diana, Ian Anderson is 61 today (according to the paper). From JLK

Anonymous said...

So cool to share this experience with Ian. Sounds fun.
Lisa

Petrea Burchard said...

I saw Jethro Tull on the War Child tour, when I was in college--front row at University of Illinois--woohoo! And my husband is one of Ian Anderson's biggest fans. He'll be jealous. In a good way.

Ian France said...

I love how the last photo shows a ray of light from the stage revealing some of the audience. I can't believe Ian's still playin' at 61, God bless him.

dianasfaria.com said...

Thanks Jenna. I had no idea. I'm surprised he didn't mention it, though he did talk about Mick Jagger just turning 65 this year!

Yeah lisa it was fun, especially when he started shouting out to the musicians encouraging them to keep playing!

Petrea, front row!!! you lucky lucky girl!

Thanks Arnold, you always notice the cool stuff.

JunieRose2005 said...

WOW!!


Jethro Tull- one of my favorite bands!

How cool you and your family got to see this concert! I'd love to see them in concert!!

It's amazing how a lot of the old bands have remained so good, all through the years! (I wonder if ANY of the current bands will stand the test of time!)

I was fortunate in getting to see 'The Who' in Tampa, Fl last year! It was fantastic and a memory I will always treasure!

And just recently we saw Mark Knopfler , of Dire Straits, in Atlanta, Ga! He was just great! (currently, one of my favorites!)


BTW-
Am also enjoying the info and views you are putting on your blog about Long Island and NYC. I have only been to NY one time, over 20 years ago. I DID manage to see a lot, tho, in that short visit. I even went to the top of the Empire State Bldg. :) Awesome experience!
Have never been to LI, so I'm finding all this interesting, as I have a long time friend who is in LI.

Also, noticed in your profile that you like several of the same music bands that I do- so thought it would be fun checking your site out! :) It has been, too!

Thanks,

Junie Rose

Lydia said...

I loved Thick as a Brick, loved Jethro Tull. Wow, what memories you stirred for me today. The photos put you right there, practically!

chrome3d said...

"Life is a long song" from the Tull is one brilliantly lovely song.