Wednesday, May 7, 2008

carpenter bees

Please click on photo to enlarge and see the bee.

Can you see it hovering right at the edge of the roof closest to the peak? The bee was actually much closer than it looks because of the illusion of the space involved. It looks like it is close to the top of the roof. Either way you look at it you can tell it is quite large! They can be so intimidating too. I just keep telling myself they don't sting and go about my business as I work outside. They make a very loud buzzing sound as well.
Every Spring they bore holes into the wood frame of our house and every Spring my husband fills the wood up again.
One time I was gardening in the backyard when I heard one literally banging into the picket fence making loud thumping noises flailing its body against it as it bore a hole straight through!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't even read the post but that bee is HUMONGOUS if I can see it without enlarging the picture! It looks like something out of the movie i watched last night THE MIST...

Anonymous said...

They are like something from space, really allien.
I got wasp killer that has a long stream. Works real good, sprayed that stuff into the wood where you see them. Last year one bee chased me down the driveway, fortunatley my aim was good and I hit him while he chased me. He lost. Dropped straight down he did. My house is my territory, they have other places they can go. A Mishy agrees with me.

dianasfaria.com said...

there is only one person I know that kills bugs like that with such vengeance...no wait, actually there are two, no- maybe three!
Meanwhile I live with a person who says a prayer for the poor bug's life every time I kill an insect on this property.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am horrible when it comes to killing bugs, however, bees are an exception, for I've had a personal vengeance against them since I was seven. One of those bees was once terrorizing my tennis group, so I took my racket and hit it head on. I literally felt it hit the racket and it dropped to the ground, only to get up and fly away. Those things are monsters.

Anonymous said...

every fall i fill up their holes with calk and by spring their at it again,