Wednesday, April 9, 2008

This post is dedicated to my dear cousin Veronica

I never had a younger sibling...until I met Veronica. She is the little sister that I never had, only she is actually my cousin. Still, though- she seems like what I would think a sister would be-always there for me. We live very far apart now. We have lived far apart for years. In fact I rarely see her. But that doesn't seem to matter because when we pick up the phone and have one of our gabfests it is as if I saw her yesterday. I guess that is what happens when you have known someone since they were born. I remember looking at a home movie & seeing pictures of her as an infant. She looked precious. I was only about two in the film.
When she was older, her Mom had a big pool put in their backyard. Veronica was the best swimmer out of everyone. I can still see her diving off the side of the pool and splashing into the water. I can even say with some certainty that she figured out how to dive off the side of the pool before I did. And fast-she was an extremely fast swimmer indeed! She was the youngest out of all the cousins, but no one could keep up with her.

Veronica grew up to be one of the most caring people I know. Sometimes I just can't wrap my head around something and I know if I call her, she'll help me figure it out. But she just won't give advice. She'll look at it from a Christian perspective & she won't be afraid to talk about it on those terms either. I love that about her.

A few years ago I decided to visit her for her birthday. I hadn't seen her in years. When she called to tell me something a day or two before my trip my son overheard our conversation. When I got off of the phone he was smiling and laughing saying something like,"...Mom, you two sound just alike-you even laugh the same." I wonder how that could be. How could I be so lucky to have someone who treats me like what I would imagine a sister would.
Happy Birthday Veronica-I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your right about that, I can remember being terrified when she would just run and dive right into the big crashing ocean waves at R. Moses beach. She wasn't afraid of anything. I don't think it was easy for her to be the runt of the litter. She is sweet and thoughtful. I like her honesty. PG