Friday, January 23, 2009

So you are never going to believe this...

but I have a high metabolism, as in VERY high. My body burns 1915 calories a day at rest. My Dr told me this after she said I was iron deficient and needed to start iron supplementation immediately. I told her I thought she was looking at the wrong chart. After confirming my birth date, she said no, it was all true. I was either eating way too much OR possibly not eating enough!
Wow! I thought, that means I can eat more! & that's precisely what I have been doing since then-hence the 4.6 pound weight gain...
Seriously though, my DR said this is probably why when I was eating 1400 calories a day for 2 weeks I didn't lose any weight. The body goes into starvation mode or some such, clinging to whatever fat it can. Sweet DR then told me I should be eating 1600 calories a day if I wanted to lose 1-2 pounds a week.
This was amazing news to me. After feeling extremely tired for the last few months as well as hitting a weight loss plateau for quite some time, I was starting to feel like I was getting old.
The funny thing is, I was never like that either, I was never one to "feel" old. I was always one of those people that has always believed you are as young as you feel, & I would set my mind to feeling young. I should have known something was wrong when my thinking started to change.

After this fast/high metabolism news I suddenly started to feel very hopeful. This is so cool I thought, I have a fast metabolism. I can lose weight. I was just tired from not having enough iron! I began to feel young again. At the age of 46 it was as if I was being reborn. Here I was thinking all this time, I'm getting old, my metabolism is slowing down, I don't have as much energy....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! It turns out it was all rubbish!
And after just two weeks of taking my iron supplements, I have new found energy that I haven't seen in a while. This seems to be helping me with my cravings since I tend to crave food when I am tired.
So the good news is, there isn't a thing wrong with me. I'm not even "just getting old" anymore! In fact I am probably in better health now (other than this wicked cold I've got) then I have ever been.
Hopefully tomorrow I will see a change when I go to weigh in at Weight Watchers too!



two of my favorite people

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is freaking AWESOME! go you! Funny thing mom was having problems losing also and I told her and the counselor told her she needed to take in more calories - she did and then she started to lose! Weird how the body works isn't it? This is all great news. And I love the picture.
love you

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Small snacks between meals are helpful too, helps keep the blood sugar stable.......thanks for hopping over to my rabbit centered universe....

Poopsie aka Blue said...

This is certainly great news.
Am glad you feel more energetic, as 46 is no way old, but know the feeling as in my mid fifties.

I meant to comment yesterday to say I admire your determination to loose weight.
I despirately need too, but apart from swimming & walking hate exercise.

Take care
Blue
And, not being a great people person Weight watches would me a nightmare for me.
So, must take myself in hand alone.

Lydia said...

This is some of the most interesting health news I have read! So great that the iron is already beneficial. What a good doctor you have, a real scientist. Yea!

MuseSwings said...

How cool is that! Eat more to weigh less! ....I'd better not try that at home.... I highly doubt it will have the same effect over here. Glad you and your Dr. found out what the deal is! Stay well and enjoy your extra calories!!!